Disability Services

Disability Services

Disability Services provides assistance to all qualified students with disabilities, whether they are physical, psychiatric or educational. You are required to register with the office and identify your needs in order to be eligible for academic accommodations. All services are based on individual needs. We are here to help you reach your academic goals.

Students are responsible for identifying themselves to the Disability Services Office, for providing documentation, and for requesting accommodations.


  1. Contact the Testing and Academic Services Center to set up a meeting with Disability Services Specialist and retrieve an Accommodation Request Form.
  2. Meet with the Specialist to complete the interview process.
  3. Provide the office of Disability Services with all requested and appropriate documentation.
  4. Follow up with Disability Services every semester to continue services and receive updates.

An Accommodation Request Form must be completed for all individuals seeking support services with the office of Disability Services.  You can print the form and bring it to your interview appointment, complete and submit this form online, or pick up a form from Disability Services in Cannon Hall, Room 103 or 109.

In order for accommodations to be in place when classes begin students are encouraged to meet with Disability Services at least two weeks prior to the beginning of each semester; or return a Semester Request for Accommodations at least two weeks before the start of the semester.

For additional information on services available, please contact:

Testing and Academic Services Center
Cannon Hall, 1st Floor (Rm 103 or 109)
217-443-8708 / 217-443-8809

Please note, the accommodations and services are offered in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the American with Disabilities Act of 1990.


The collaborative process continues in determining need for auxiliary aids and services and the auxiliary aids and services that are reasonable.  Be prepared to describe the auxiliary aids and services you used in the past and provide documentation of disability and need for accommodations.  


The process for determining accommodations is a collaborative one that may or may not require third-party documentation. We encourage students to contact us to engage in a discussion to identify and remove barriers in their academic experience


Faculty have the right to reject accommodations that undercut a course’s fundamental goals.   Faculty may also choose between equally effective accommodations, if, one is less intrusive to the course goals. A student’s request for an accommodation that would alter the curriculum or a course's fundamental goals is considered an unreasonable request.   Working with your college instructors will be important so that you can select between possible accommodation strategies that will provide you with the maximum opportunity for both learning and demonstrating mastery.


It is the policy of Danville Area Community College to provide an accessible campus, both in terms of the physical plant and programs. The College will comply with all requirements set forth in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Illinois Accessibility Code of 1988, and all regulations implementing these Acts.

DACC Building Descriptions with Accessibility.

Three offices on the DACC campus work together to address accessibility issues:

Mike Cunningham, Vice President of Administrative Services reviews and coordinates physical plant modifications to ensure the accessibility of campus for all students, employees, and visitors with disabilities who wish to access the College's programs and services.  Mike Cunningham may be contacted by phone at 443-8831.

Jill Cranmore, Vice President of Human Resources (Affirmative Action Officer and Section 504/ADA Compliance Officer) is responsible for addressing concerns of students, staff, and the public regarding compliance and accessibility. Jill Cranmore may be contacted by phone at 443-8756.

Lisa Rudolph, Disability Services, (Cannon Hall) who review eligibility documentation and coordinates academic auxiliary aids and other accommodations services for eligible students with disabilities. They may be contacted through the Assessment Center at 443-8708.

An inclusive campus climate is promoted by fostering an understanding of the effects of disabilities and by working to eliminate the physical, technical, and attitudinal barriers that limit the range of opportunities for students with disabilities.


Internal Process

This process was established to comply with the ADA/Section 504 mandate to “provide for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action that would be prohibited.” If a student does not agree with a recommended accommodation, or has been denied accommodation(s), the student may file a complaint through the Office of Accommodations Complaint Process. A faculty or staff member who does not agree with an accommodation recommended for a student may also utilize this process. A faculty or staff-initiated complaint may not delay the implementation of an accommodation which Office of Accommodations believes to be in compliance with ADA.

Any individual needing accommodation to participate in this complaint process should contact the Assessment Center

  1. If informal discussions with DACC personnel have not resolved the issue, the individual shall submit a written or recorded complaint to the Dean of Student Services or his/her designee, within ten (10) working days of the event(s) that triggered the complaint.
  2. The Dean of Student Services or his/her designee shall meet with the individual within ten (10) working days of the receipt of the complaint to reach a resolution informally.
  3. If an informal resolution cannot be reached the Dean of Student Services will appoint an ad hoc committee to investigate the complaint. This committee will be chaired by the Dean or his/her designee. The investigation will proceed promptly.
  4. Within five (5) working days following the conclusion of the investigation, the chair of the ad hoc committee will provide its recommendation to the Vice President of Instruction and Student Services.
  5. Within fifteen (15) working days of the receipt of the recommendations from the committee, the Vice President of Instruction will make a decision regarding the complaint and provide a written notice of the decision to all parties involved.

External Process

Grievances may be resolved on an informal basis or on a formal basis.  Every attempt will be made to resolve all grievances internally at the point of origin in a timely manner. Although students with disabilities are encouraged to attempt to resolve a grievance within the campus process, they have the right to file any grievance directly with the Office of Civil Rights at:

Office of Civil Rights
U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services
233 N. Michigan Ave, Suite 240
Chicago, IL 60601
Voice Phone 1-800-368-1019  FAX (202) 619-3818
TDD (800) 537-7697


Upcoming Events