Federal Pell Grant

Federal Pell Grant

The Pell Grant is available to eligible students at Danville Area Community College. The Pell award can be used to pay tuition, fees, books and supplies, up to the amount available each semester. If the student has funds after costs are met, then refunds are issued at the mid-point of each term. To apply you must:

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The best method is to apply on-line, it is safe and the quickest way to get the results to your school. Visit https://studentaid.gov/ for complete instructions and to begin the process. DACC's school code is 001669. If you need the paper FAFSA call 1-800-433-3243.TTY users may use 1-800-730-9013.

To complete the FAFSA you will need information concerning your family's taxed and untaxed income as well as asset information. If you (and your spouse or parent) filed a Federal Tax Return you will need copies of these documents. You may contact our office if you have questions concerning what must be included as income and assets.

The prior year's financial resources (that is a completed Federal tax year) prior to the start of a financial aid award year is the data you will use to complete the FAFSA. For instance the award year 2018/19 begins Fall 2018 and requires 2016 tax & income information.  The resulting expected family contribution (efc) will be used to determine your eligibility for all financial aid programs, including the Pell grant.

If you think your family has an exceptional financial circumstance that should be addresses complete the directions and the worksheet for the Appeal for Special Circumstances (ASC) and return it (with supporting documentation) to the DACC financial Aid Office. To get the ASC Form click here FORMS

If you have misplaced your (or spouse/parent) Federal Tax return you can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and ask for the applicable years tax transcript. Below is information from the IRS WEB site about this site and the link. You can order your tax transcript as well.

Introduction for the Internal Revenue Service Student WEB site:

Per the IRS: "This guide explains the federal income tax laws of particular interest to high school and college students. It will help you decide if the income you receive (such as wages, tips, interest, or a scholarship or fellowship) is taxable. It will also help you decide if you should have tax taken out (withheld) from your pay and if you should file an income tax return. The rules explained in this guide apply to students who are U.S. citizens and unmarried (single). If you are a foreign student studying in the United States, you should see Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens. Comments and suggestions. We welcome your comments about this publication and your suggestions for future editions. You can e-mail us while visiting our web site at www.irs.gov/help/email2.html

You can write to us at the following address:

Internal Revenue Service
Technical Publications Branch, W:CAR:MP:FP:P
1111 Constitution Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20224.

We respond to many letters by telephone. Therefore, it would be helpful if you would include your daytime phone number, including the area code, in your correspondence.

To visit the IRS WEB site click below: (select "Individual" than "Students" once at the page)

You can:

  1. Request online at www.irs.gov. It is a paper response that is only mailed to taxpayer.
  2. Request by telephone at 1-800-908-9946. It is a paper response that is only mailed to taxpayer.
  3. Use the IRS From 4506T-EZ that can be found at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf. It is a paper response that is mailed to taxpayer. However, this fomr lets the taxpayer request Tax Transcript be sent to the school (3rd Party).

All delivery methods take 5 to 10 days. Important!!! All identifying information must match EXACTLY the most recent records IRS has, even if minor differences stops request.